In celebration of a day off from work (“Family Day” here in Ontario, or, as I prefer to think of it, “Not Presidents Day,”) I tried making bagels for the first time.  I’m most pleased with my results.


I used a recipe from the King Arthur Flour website which called for steaming the bagels, rather than boiling them, prior to baking.  I didn’t bother with adding sesame seeds, but next time I try this, I think I’ll substitute a bit of rye flour.  All in all, a very satisfactory first time effort.

The only problem is that the recipe calls for letting the dough rise at room temperature.  Whatever temperature that is, it probably isn’t the temperature of my house in February.  I put the dough in the oven to rise, to keep it from drafts.  I have an electric oven rather than a gas oven (no pilot light), so I turn on the oven at 150 degrees for 2-3 minutes every couple of hours.

On another topic, Sharon B has posted this month’s Stitch explorer challenge, trellis stitch.  I’m looking forward to this challenge.  This is a new stitch for me.  Last month’s challenge, chicken scratch, was also new to me.  It was interesting – I very much liked seeing other people’s efforts – but I don’t think this is a style of needlework that particularly appealed to me.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s